Wednesday 2 February 2011

Katie Morag's porridgies

This is a recipe from the Katie Morag books - I recently read all of them to my 3-year-old. This is a great recipe to make with kids as it's easy and not too messy, and no eggs so they can taste it all.

These are really yummy and more-ish - they are essentially flapjacks or chewy oatmeal squares. In the back of my mind I want to try to make a slightly healthier version... when I get the time.

100g / 4oz butter
75g / 3oz soft brown sugar
30ml / 2 tablespoons golden syrup (or light corn syrup)
200g / 8oz rolled oats (porridge oats)
pinch of salt

Melt butter in a large pan over a low heat. Add sugar and syrup and salt. Mix well.
Stir in rolled oats. Mix very well. Spread mixture evenly in tray with palette knife.
Bake at 160C fan for 25-35 minutes, until golden brown. Take out of oven. Let cool. Cut into squares and store in airtight container.

No comments: